Strings validation with Rubustrings
Published on 29 Sep 2014
Rubustrings, a format validator for Localizable.string files.
It only needs the files to validate as arguments
Currently Rubustrings validates:
• The syntaxis of the strings file: Just the format of each line, (“key” = “value”);
• Special characters (\n, \r, %@, %d, %ld,…): It checks that the translation include the same set of them than the original string.
• Special characters at the beginning or at the end: If the original string begins or ends with a white space,\n or \r it tests that the translation also does.
dcordero@silver:~$ ./rubustrings Localizable.strings Processing file: "Localizable.strings" ✘ Beginning mismatch: " Tubasa" = "Tubasa"; ✘ Invalid format: "bad format" = "because of a missing quote; ✘ Number of variables mismatch: "Web %@" = "Web"; ✘ Some errors detected
dcordero@silver:~$ ./rubustrings Localizable.strings Processing file: "Localizable.strings" ✓ Strings file validated succesfully
Future validators to include:
• Warning on untranslated strings
• Warning if the translation is significatly larger than the original string.